Housing : Huchet House
Located in a lovely former convent, Huchet House has a caring, dedicated staff who do everything possible to ensure that a homeless woman pregnant with her first child, delivers a healthy, full-term baby. Huchet House can provide clients with the skills, support and resources necessary to become loving, effective, and self-sufficient mothers.
Huchet House meets the special needs of first time expectant single moms. This warm and welcoming transitional home provides nine women at a time with a calm, safe and caring environment. In addition to learning important parenting and living skills, we offer pre-employment training.
Clients have a comfortably furnished bedroom. When the baby is born, they are given necessary baby equipment, which they may take with them when they leave. The living room, dining room and kitchen are shared which creates a family environment.
As with all our programs, support services are essential. HomeFront provides:
- Access to prenatal care, including vitamin supplements and nutrition education
- Role modeling for successful parenting
- Transportation to medical appointments
- Classes on parenting skills and how to create a close bond with her new baby
- Job training, including obtaining GED and basic computer skills
- Assistance getting a job after her baby is born
- Life skills training, including budgeting and tenant/landlord responsibilities
- Assistance securing permanent housing
- Help accessing community social services
- On-going access to HomeFront support services mothers–to-be don’t have.