Building Self Confidence With Therapeutic Art
HomeFront believes that for a full and rich life, one that truly breaks through the cycle of poverty, you need more than a roof over your head, food for your belly and a paycheck. The human spirit needs nourishment—the power of life’s richness that gives meaning to our day-to-day lives.
ArtSpace, a spacious studio located at the heart of HomeFront’s Family Campus. This warm, light-filled space is the first thing you notice when entering the building, and it welcomes you to look around, join in, and pick up a paint brush. In this non-threatening, non-judgmental environment, with a caring staff and a team of volunteers to prompt and guide them, clients are reminded of their goals and dreams; discover content that is personal, real, and truthful; and foster a sense of joy, creativity, and exuberance.
Through this innovative therapeutic art program, the creative process becomes a tangible tool for self-expression, critical thinking and problem-solving that can transform the lives of HomeFront clients. Making art lets us step away from our lives for a moment. It’s a chance to breathe, a chance to reset your system and bring a new reality to an otherwise blank page. All of us as humans need to express ourselves in some way. When there are limits to how you can express yourself, having an outlet where you can create, where you can make art, opens doors to new ways of thinking and helps us to see ourselves in new and beautiful ways.
We’re Back – ArtJam Returns Fall 2021!
Save the Date: October 15th – October 30th
HomeFront’s ArtJam 2021 launches Friday, Oct. 15 in Palmer Square, Princeton. The art event will bring life and color to an empty storefront by creating a pop-up gallery that combines undiscovered artists who have experienced homelessness, professional artists and the community in a celebration of creativity, inclusiveness and empowerment!
When you visit ArtJam, you can feel good twice! You can buy art you’ll love, and you will be helping a program you can believe in.
“This event is a labor of love by many supporters; our volunteers, artists who contribute their works, and local businesses. We deeply appreciate that the community comes together to produce and support this artistic, fundraising event,” says Ruthann Traylor, Director of Artspace, and its sister program, SewingSpace at HomeFront. “We have learned to navigate uncertain times, and we have proven over and over the arts can lift spirits, empower our artists and enhance their self-esteem.”
The pop-up gallery will feature more than 75 artists, and includes paintings, sculpture, pottery, and other original works. SewingSpace participants will be selling hand-sewn creations, too.
ArtJam 2021 will be using a satellite location at the HomeFront Family Campus in Ewing (the Blue Garage Gallery) to house a special collection of oversized artworks too large to display in our Palmer Square location. Please see our website for details on the artists and pieces available for sale there.
Upcoming Local Displays of ArtSpace artists
- July 31st-August 1st ArtSpace will be participating in the Mercer County 4-H Fair
- Saturday, August 8th 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Adath Israel Cultural Festival
- Saturday, October 2nd 10:00 am – 4:00 pm Newtown Historical Market Day
- October 15th-30th: 13th Annual ArtJam in Palmer Square
Arts Entrepreneurship: ArtSpace and SewingSpace
CREATE, MARKET, SHOWCASE, SELL
By empowering clients with entrepreneurial knowledge and skills, the Arts Entrepreneurship program becomes a means to create, market, showcase and sell their work.
Previous Local Displays of ArtSpace artists
- December 7 West Windsor Holiday Craft Show 9am-3pm
- November 1 – 30 Small World Coffee (on Nassau Street in Princeton) ArtSpace artwork will be on display.
- November 1 – 30 PEAC (Pennington Ewing Athletic Club)
- November 22 & 23 HomeFront Holiday Market View Holiday Market Press Release (pdf)
- November 9 St. Gregory the Great Holiday Craft Show 9am-3pm
- October 1-31 Ewing Library ArtSpace artwork will be on display.
- October 5 Newtown Fall Market
- September 20 6:30pm-8:00pm “Art Against Racism” Opening Reception and Artists’ Talk. Location Unitarian Universalist Congregation Princeton NJ Learn More
- July 27 9am-1pm SewingSpace Open-House location 1880 Princeton Ave. Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 View Event Flyer
- July 21from 4 to 6pm will have artwork on exhibit at the West Windsor Arts Council. Location: West Windsor Arts Council 952 Alexander Rd, Princeton Junction, NJ 08550.
- June 8 – July 6 Art Show to benefit HomeFront Touchstone Art Gallery 11 E Afton Avenue, Yardley, PA 19067. June 8, 2019 5-7pm Meet the Artists reception
- ArtUnitesUs May 1-31 Ewing Municipal Building 2 Jake Garzio Drive Ewing, NJ 08628 -hosted by The Arc Mercer’s Arctistic Collective & ArtSpace of HomeFront
- Nassau Film Festival May 19 9:30am A Place Like Home Ilene Dube – Short Film about SewingSpace
Use the links below to view more pages related to ArtSpace
Volunteer at Homefront's ArtSpace/SewingSpace-Interested in getting involved? We need your help..
- Facilitate art classes: Teach classes to our clients (adults and children). many areas of expertise are needed. such as: painting, drawing, crochet, knitting, pottery, sewing, and more.
- Fundraising: Research and write grants, solicit sponsorships, and community support.
Exhibits: Explore new venues, assist with marketing (press releases, social media, help frame and curate an exhibit.
- Special Events: ArtJam is a fun and funky art sale featuring ArtSpace and local artists. it's a "pop-up gallery" utilizing an empty store setting up a temporary gallery to raise funds for both artists/ArtSpace. Many volunteer opportunities...solicit food and beverages donations, entertainment, sponsorships, marketing and coordinate volunteers, or work in the gallery.
- Interested? E-mail email@example.com, 609 883 7500, ext 316
Photos of recent volunteer groups
Artspace's goal is to function as a self sufficient program of homefront. Tax deductible donations are needed to support our efforts.
How you can support:$25 - can provide supplies for one week of art classes for 15 homeless women
$50 - can sponsor one month of children's creative workshops
$100 - can sponsor one month of classes for both adults and children
$200 - can sponsor field trip to art museum/cultural event
$500 - can sponsor our website in exchange for marketing/publicity
$1000 - can sponsor an art reception in exchange for marketing/publicity
Other: sign up to pledge a monthly donation