Families not only need housing, they also need food, clothing and furniture. These are things that most of us take for granted, but for our area’s poorest families, these necessities can be difficult, if not impossible, to acquire.
Each month our FoodPantry – provides a week’s worth of free groceries to low-income families who need them. Much of the food is purchased with donations made to HomeFront, and the rest comes from the Mercer Street Friends food bank, USDA surplus and local food drives.
Our FreeStore is another component of our resource network, with more than 5,000 visits to the store made annually by our clients. The FreeStore also carries housewares, but not furniture. To meet that need, so that formerly homeless families can furnish their new apartments, HomeFront established Furnish the Future. This program collects and distributes donated furniture to more than 500 families a year.
Please consider that your donation goes directly to our families so we kindly request that it be in good condition and unbroken.
Furnish The Future
Picture a real home, and you’ll see parents and kids sleeping in beds, a family sitting around a table sharing a meal, a young student seated at that same table or at a desk doing homework. Parents and kids are sleeping in beds and their clothing is stowed away in dressers – not in cardboard boxes or garbage bags. That’s our vision, too, and Furnish the Future and our donors’ kindness make it a reality. If you have good, used furniture (or clothing and housewares) you would like to donate, please bring it to our loading dock at 1880 Princeton Avenue in Lawrenceville on weekdays 9 a.m.-5 p.m. or Saturdays 9 a.m.-noon. You can schedule a furniture pickup by calling (609) 989-9417, but we’ll need a $40 donation. We regret that, but the money is needed to help pay staff and maintain our very old truck. Your tax receipt for the furniture donation will include the $40 cash donation.
We will gladly accept the following:
- Queen, full and twin size mattresses with box springs and frames in good condition (without holes or stains)
- Bunk beds, please have frames taped together with small parts bagged
- Dressers (small and medium-size)
- Small sofas (no longer than 80″ x 30″) and loveseats (without holes or stains)
- Dinette tables (small and medium-size) and chairs
- End tables, coffee tables
- Gently used clean clothing (bagged, boxed or on hangers)
- Sheets (twin, full and queen sizes)
- Kitchenware (dishes, pots and pans, etc)
- Small appliances in good working condition
We cannot accept the following:
- Out of season holiday decorations
- Used toys (we will take Legos)
- Exercise and sports equipment
- Medical equipment
- Oversized furniture
- Entertainment units
- Sectional, reclining or sleep-sofas
- King size mattresses and box springs
- Household fixtures
- CRT monitors, printers, scanners
- Office furniture (desks, office cha irs, file cabinets)
- Musical equipment
- Oversized TV’s (more than 50 lbs and older than 5 years)